Thursday, December 20, 2007

An End To SADness

Seasonal Affective Disorder had me laying back this year, not packing Christmas presents, unmotivated, doing nothing as the latest possible shipping date drew closer and closer.

SAD snuck up so slowly and easily that I didn't realize it was there. Just that it was really hard to get out of bed in the morning. I didn't want to do anything, just vegetate.

Seasonal Affective Disorder. When the length of the day diminishes, the body shuts down. Hibernation. It can happen to the best of us, and to you and me, too.

The solution is simple, cheap, and very pleasant. I hold a little desk lamp up to my eyes, eyelids closed, and move it around, letting light come in from all angles. My inner puppy melts in the warmth. The more I do it, the more the eyes relax, the more they soak up the glow.

Remember what it is like to lay on the beach in the sun, soaking up the rays? Eyes closed, the mind fills with the glow. This is the experience I give myself.

A minute or so twice a day, and I am happily involved in the world again.

No comments: